Wireless RERC researchers, Salimah LaForce and Ben Lippincott, and consultant, Kay Chiodo (Deaf Link), will present at the Pacific ADA Center and the ADA National Network Learning Session on May 11, 2017, from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm EST. The Emergency Preparedness webinar series focuses on key strategies and approaches at various levels (federal, state, and local) toward emergency management and preparedness and the inclusion of people with disabilities. Register here to attend this webinar. Following is a description and learning objectives.
During an emergency, alert and warning officials need to provide the public with life-saving emergency messages that inform those in the impacted area and compel them to take protective actions. Emergency information is not always presented in formats accessible to people with different levels of sensory, cognitive and physical disabilities. Likewise, the devices on which they receive emergency information are not always optimized for use with emergency information tools such as WEA, subscription-based alerting systems, or local and state apps (e.g. Ready Georgia). This webinar will address composing message content and delivery format features that can enhance the accessibility of the information to people with disabilities. We will also cover smartphone features that can improve the accessibility of emergency messages. The webinar will close with a description and demonstration of an accessible system, Deaf Link's Accessible Hazard Alert System (AHAS).
- Learn about the use of wireless emergency communications tools by people with disabilities, as well as their expressed needs and preferences.
- Understand the emergency message content tips that improve accessibility, trust, and reliability of emergency information.
- Understand the "How-to's" for subscribing and enabling accessible emergency alerts on Android and iOS devices for people with disabilities.
- Understand the recommendations for trustworthy apps, internet resources, and social media feeds related to accessible emergency alerts
- Expanded understanding of how to effectively alert members of the Deaf community.